Health & Fitness: Free, Low-Cost Health Care Services Available locally
Seeking medical care can be expensive, from the costs of doctor’s appointments, lab and medical tests and prescription drugs. However, to maintain good health, it’s important to be proactive, receive routine health screenings and seek professional care for chronic or acute medical conditions.
Because some patients either don’t have health insurance or can’t afford the out-of-pocket costs required by their insurance company, several medical facilities in the Coweta County area are offering free or discount medical services to those in need. Learn more:
YourTown Health is a network of seven non-profit Community Health Centers that serve patients in Meriwether, Pike, Lamar, Coweta, Carroll and South Fulton counties. YourTown Health provides affordable, quality health care to all patients, including those who are uninsured or underinsured.
At YourTown Health, doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners offer the following services:
• Primary health care services, including treating short term illnesses, like the flu, and managing chronic conditions, such as diabetes and high blood pressure. Preventive services such as cancer screenings, immunizations, annual physicals and diagnostic lab work are also offered.
• Pediatric and adolescent care, including annual health checks and immunizations.
• Immunizations for all patients, including the seasonal flu vaccine, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B vaccines, Pneumovax (for pneumonia), Varivax (for chickenpox) and Gardasil (for HPV).
• Women’s health services, including annual gynecology exams, Pap smears, breast and cervical cancer screenings, and family planning. Also, obstetrical services related to pregnancy, childbirth and the time following childbirth.
• Geriatric health care services that offer prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases that are related to aging.
• Behavioral health services for patients of all ages experiencing emotional or behavioral conditions are offered in partnership with Pathways Center, a premier behavioral health care organization.
• Dental care, including bi-annual cleanings, fluoride treatments, filling cavities, extracting teeth, performing root canals, treating abscesses and more, is offered by dentists and hygienists at YourTown Health’s Palmetto office.
• Telehealth virtual visits
• The QuickCare Clinic in Palmetto provides immediate care for sore throat, cold and flu; flu shots; stomach pains, indigestion, diarrhea and vomiting; and screenings and laboratory. No appointment is required.
• Free COVID-19 vaccines and at-home COVID-19 test kits.
Here are some nearby YourTown Health locations:
• Senoia: 48 Main St., Suite 3A, Senoia, Ga. 30276 (Coweta County), 678-723–0400
• Palmetto (Family Medicine and Dental): 643 Main St., Palmetto, Ga. 30268 (Fulton County), 770-463–4644
• Palmetto QuickCare: 507 Park St., Palmetto, Ga. 30268, 770-463-4644
• Carrollton: 202 Croft St., Carrollton, Ga. 30117 (Carroll County), 770-834–2255
For more information, visit http://www.yourtownhealth.com.
Coweta Samaritan Clinic
Coweta Samaritan Clinic at 137 Jackson St. in Newnan offers free primary medical care to patients who meet certain requirements. To qualify, patients must be Coweta County residents who are 19 or older, have no health insurance and have an annual household income at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level.
The clinic diagnoses, treats and helps patients manage acute illnesses such as the flu, as well as chronic diseases like high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes. Patients can receive free prescription medications and supplies through a prescription assistance program. Diabetes counseling and nutrition education are also available. When needed, patients also receive referrals to free or low-cost specialty care, such as imaging, screening, diagnosis, treatment and surgery.
Services are provided by appointment only, Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The clinic is closed on Fridays.
Current patients can call the clinic at 770-683-5272 to schedule an appointment, request a prescription refill or speak to a social worker. Patients can schedule a telemedicine appointment with their provider if they don’t need an in-person appointment.
New patients should contact the clinic at 770-683-5272 and select option 3 to leave their name and phone number for the new patient eligibility screener.
Healing Bridge Clinic
Healing Bridge Clinic at 215 Willow Bend Road in Peachtree City provides free primary health care to residents of Fayette and surrounding counties who meet eligibility requirements.
To qualify, all patients must be a Georgia resident between the ages of 18 to 64 years old and without any form of health care insurance (no private insurance, Medicare, Medicaid or veteran’s benefits). They must provide a valid, current photo ID with current address and show proof of residency with a utility bill from the previous month with the patient’s name and address listed. If patients live with someone else, a notarized affidavit is required from the homeowner. Patients must also provide proof of household income from the past 30 days.
Services provided by nurse practitioners and volunteer providers include general medicine, cardiology, dermatology, dental (limited), vision (limited), mental health counseling, addiction counseling, physical therapy (by referral), spiritual resources, orthopedic services, podiatry care and women’s wellness care. Lab tests, X-rays, MRIs and imaging services are also provided to patients at no charge. Annual flu shots are also offered.
Patients are seen by appointment only. To make an appointment, call 770-681-0157 or email [email protected]. Telehealth appointments are also available.
The clinic is open on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. On Tuesdays, patients can book sessions for internal medicine, chronic disease management, podiatry, gynecology, labs and prescription refills. On Thursdays, patients can book sessions for internal medicine, orthopedic, dermatology, chronic disease management, gynecology, physical therapy, massage therapy, labs and prescription refills. Monthly sessions are available for cardiology and vision clinics.
Free Uber rides are available to those who need transportation to and from the clinic. Uber rides must be scheduled through the clinic by emailing [email protected].
For more information, visit https://healingbridgeclinic.org.
Walmart offers affordable health care services, including medical care (wellness checks, physicals, sick/injury visits, immunizations, and chronic condition diagnosis, care and management) and dental exams (including X-rays, deep cleanings, teeth whitening, fillings, porcelain crowns, simple extractions and more). Hearing services are available with a licensed audiologist or hearing aid technician for hearing exams, hearing aid fittings and more. Patients also have access to behavioral health services and can talk with a licensed professional therapist or psychiatrist for help with depression, anxiety, stress, grief and relationship issues.
Walmart Health at 1025 Bullsboro Drive in Newnan offers medical, dental and behavioral health services and immunizations. For more information, call 678-633-6509. To schedule an appointment, visit www.walmarthealth.com.
The Little Clinic
Participating Kroger stores offer health care services through The Little Clinic. Board-certified health care providers provide diagnostic treatment and prevention for a variety of illnesses. Services include vaccinations, annual screenings, pre-employment, school or sports physicals and more. The clinic treats patients 12 months and older.
In Newnan, The Little Clinic is located at 1751 Newnan Crossing Blvd. E. For more information, call 678-423-5854. To schedule an appointment, visit www.kroger.com/health/clinic.