The Food Zone: Strawberry Chia Smoothie
Photo credit: American Institute of Cancer Research
From American Institute of Cancer Research
Smoothies aren’t just a summer fad and can be enjoyed anytime of the year, especially for breakfast.
This smoothie is blended with fruit, milk and chia seeds and is full of protein, calcium and fiber that will keep you satisfied. Strawberries contain ellagic acid, which may act as an antioxidant and decrease inflammation. Chia seeds are loaded with fiber, rich in omega-3s and provide a good source of protein.
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 4 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. strawberry preserves, or to taste
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Makes 1 serving (1 cup ). Per serving: 140 calories, 5 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 20 g carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 65 mg sodium, 14 g sugar, 0 g added sugar.
- Place milk and chia seeds in a blender and let sit while measuring remaining ingredients.
- Add strawberries, preserves, orange zest, ginger and vanilla to blender. Whirl on high speed until smoothie is blended and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Pour into a tall glass and serve immediately.