Chuck Johnson CPA: Tips for 2022 Tax Season


By LATINA EMERSON, Special to The Weekly

Chuck Johnson, a certified public accountant with offices at 560 Newnan Crossing Bypass, Suite 125, in Newnan, offers tax tips for the 2022 tax season:

Q: What are the biggest changes that taxpayers can expect for the 2022 tax season?

A: The biggest challenge is the delays with the IRS. They are very backed up as they have not processed all of the 2020 returns yet. There were not a lot of significant tax changes since the legislation for tax changes never passed.

Q: Is there anything else that taxpayers need to know about the 2022 tax season? 

A: If you received the third stimulus check in 2021, please locate that amount so you can report it correctly so your return will not be delayed in processing. The stimulus is not taxable.

Q: What documents should taxpayers bring with them to their tax preparation appointment? 

A: Complete the tax organizer your preparer sends you so they can prepare your return accurately. The tax organizer is a booklet that I send to my clients that contains the information from their prior year tax return and serves as a memory jogger on what documents to bring to the tax meeting. It also provides spaces to write in the current year numbers from their documents.

Q: What should taxpayers look for when selecting a tax preparer? 

A: Experience. Get a few references.

Q: How do taxpayers avoid delays with getting their tax return processed? 

A: Be sure your return is accurate. E-file is much quicker and more accurate than paper filing.

Q: When does tax season end?  

A: Tax season ends April 18, 2022 this year. Hopefully, it will not be extended like the previous two years.

Q: Do you have any additional tax tips or advice for readers? 

A: Be sure to file an accurate return to the best of your ability. Please get the exact amount of your stimulus check if you received one; if you received the advanced child tax credit, please report the exact amount you received. These will be crucial in getting your return processed quickly.

To learn more about Johnson’s services, visit

What to Bring

Taxpayers should bring the following documents to their appointment:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for the taxpayer, their spouse and dependents
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter, if the taxpayer, their spouse or dependents don’t have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for the taxpayer, their spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • Copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit (such as a blank check)
  • Both spouses must be present to sign the required forms in order to file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number)
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Leave a reply