Coweta Libraries, AARP continue to offer Free Tax Prep Assistance
From Special Reports
The Coweta County Public Library System and volunteers from the AARP foundation have partnered once again to prepare federal and state tax returns for free.
Tax preparation and free electronic filing is scheduled for every Wednesday through April 15 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the A. Mitchell Powell, Jr. Public Library, located at 25 Hospital Road in Newnan (770-253-3625).
The free help is also offered every Thursday through April 9 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Central Library, which is located at 85 Literary Lane in Thomas Crossroads (770-683-2052).
A special free filing day will be held one day only – Tuesday, March 3 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. – at the Heard County Public Library, located at 564 Main Street in Franklin (706-675-6501).
Those wishing to take advantage of the free filing should bring:
• state issued I.D. for all taxpayers (husband & wife)
• copy of last year’s (2018) income tax return
• W-2 forms from all employers
• unemployment compensation statements
• SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
• all 1099 forms showing interest and/or dividends and documents showing original purchase price of any sold assets/stocks
• 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income
• 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
• all forms indicating federal income tax paid
• dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
• Affordable Health Care Documents
• Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents.
It is very important that the taxpayer bring their copy of the previous year’s tax return. All taxpayers (husband & wife) will be required to sign for their tax return.
It is not necessary to be an AARP member and all ages are welcome.