Deal Finder: Free Tax Prep offered in Coweta County



The 2022 tax season is here, and it’s time to file your federal and state income taxes. As rising prices put a strain on our wallets, taxpayers can save some cash with free tax preparation services being offered in Coweta County. 

Local residents can get free tax help from the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program and the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. To take advantage of these free services, taxpayers will need to make an appointment. Learn more: 

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program

Volunteers from the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program will be assisting local residents this year at the Central Library, 85 Literary Lane in Newnan, by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, call the Central Library at 770-683-2052. 

Tax preparation and free electronic filing will be offered every Wednesday and Thursday from Feb. 2 to April 14. Taxpayers may be asked to stop by the library before their appointment to pick up an interview sheet that they should complete and bring with them to the appointment. 

Taxpayers of all ages are welcome. They should arrive 15 minutes before their appointment and remain onsite to answer any questions. 

IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program

The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program provides free tax assistance to people who make $57,000 or less annually. During tax season, eight Goodwill locations in the region will offer free tax preparation assistance with IRS-certified volunteers. Appointments are required.

In Coweta County, the VITA site is Goodwill Thomas Crossroads at 3121 Highway 34 East in Newnan. Taxpayers can receive free tax preparation assistance from Monday through Friday by appointment only. To make an appointment, call 1-833-755-2179.

Also, Goodwill Southern Rivers at 2601 Cross Country Drive, Building A, in Columbus, Ga., (behind LongHorn Steakhouse) is currently assisting taxpayers. Later this tax season, appointments will be available at LaGrange Goodwill at 143 Commerce Ave. in LaGrange, Ga. 

Starting April 25, taxpayers can receive assistance with filing back taxes.

VITA sites are certified to prepare taxes for all U.S. states, military service members and non-U.S. citizens who have an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN). Some locations may offer Saturday appointments. 

Taxpayers can also make an appointment to drop off their tax documents with IRS-certified volunteers at designated locations and pick up their completed return in 10 to 14 days. In addition, taxpayers can access free, secure tax software at to file their own return. 

For more information about Goodwill locations offering free tax assistance, filing options and the list of documents to bring to your appointment, visit

To find additional VITA sites, visit or call 800-906-9887.

What to Bring

Taxpayers should bring the following documents to their appointment:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for the taxpayer, their spouse and dependents
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter, if the taxpayer, their spouse or dependents don’t have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for the taxpayer, their spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • Copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit (such as a blank check)
  • Both spouses must be present to sign the required forms in order to file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number)
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Leave a reply