Facts and FAQs about City of Newnan’s Temporary Ordinance
From Special Reports
A temporary ordinance for the taking of measures to encourage business within a portion of the City of Newnan’s Central Business District related to COVID-19 was passed on Tuesday, May 26.
Below are some facts and frequently asked questions regarding the ordinance.
Temporary Exceptions Ordinance from City of Newnan
• Permits businesses within a designated area (see attached map below) can occupy and use the City’s sidewalks, alleys, parking spaces, and other public spaces without prior council approval, upon review.
• Permits will allow placement of tables and chairs for outside seating by restaurants, upon review.
• Business owners must submit an application that outlines their intended use of public space to Main Street Newnan for review.
• There shall be no permit fee for this application.
• Permission from the property owner or business owner is required.
• Alcoholic Beverages can be consumed within the boundaries of the Open Container District from 12 noon to 12 midnight, Monday-Saturday.
• Alcoholic beverages must be labeled with a sticker provided by City.
• Alcoholic beverages must be purchased from a license holder located in the designated area.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the effective dates of the ordinance?
The ordinance was adopted on May 26, 2020 and shall terminate at 11:59 pm (midnight) Saturday, January 30, 2021 unless extended or terminated by the Mayor and City Council prior to that date.
How to do I activate sidewalks and parking spaces for my businesses use?
The business must create a plan and submit the application to the Business Development/Main Street Newnan office for review.
What is the turn around time for applications to be reviewed?
Applications will likely be approved or provided feedback within 24 hours.
What can I use the public spaces for?
Expanded uses can include but are not limited to outside sales of retail items and café seating.
Isn’t there an ordinance already in place for café seating and sidewalk sales?
Yes, Section 18-17 in the City of Newnan Code of Ordinances. However, the temporary ordinance allows for expanded use of these public spaces.
When and where is open container allowed?
From the hours of 12 noon to 12 midnight on Monday through Saturday. Alcohol must be purchased from a licensed establishment for on the premise consumption may permit a person to exit the establishment, possess, and consume an alcoholic beverage within the Open Container District.
How do I serve open containers?
Only licensed establishments can serve beverage and must be contained in a metal, paper, or plastic container. Open container must have a sticker provided by the City.
Can participants bring an approved open container into my business?
Ultimately, this is up to the business owner on whether or not to allow the open container into their business.