Local Schools named among the ‘2021 Best High Schools’ in U.S.
Pictured above: Northgate High School Principal Ashley Wilkes, center left, stands with AP Literature teacher Kelli Sowerbrower in her Northgate classroom. (Coweta Schools photo)
From Coweta County Schools Press Release
All three Coweta County School System high schools – East Coweta, Newnan and Northgate – have been recognized once again as being among the country’s “Best High Schools” by U.S. News and World Report.
U.S. News recently released it’s 2021 “Best High Schools” list, which recognizes high-achieving public, magnet and charter schools across the U.S. U.S. News’ 2021 Best High Schools numerically ranked 17,857 high schools nationwide this year as a part of its survey, and schools with a national rank in the top 40 percent achieved status as “Best” high schools.
Northgate, Newnan and East Coweta High Schools all ranked in the upper end of U.S. high schools nationally, across the state of Georgia, and among Metro Atlanta high schools.
“This recognition tells us that our Coweta County high schools and their graduates are very competitive when compared to institutions and their peers nationally,” said Coweta Superintendent Evan Horton. “And that is true not just of one school, but all three of our high schools, representing our whole community.”
“I am proud of our high schools and students for their hard work, and also for our entire school system, as this represents a K through 12 effort,” said Horton. “I am also very proud for our community when we see these kinds of results. It takes the commitment and support of the whole community to ensure this level of quality, and it reflects well on us as a whole.”
The criteria for ranking on the annual “Best High Schools” list includes College Readiness (the proportion of a school’s 12th graders that took and passed AP or IB exams), College Curriculum Breadth (2018-2019 12th graders who took and passed multiple AP or IB exams), Math and Reading Proficiency, Math and Reading Performance (compared with what U.S. News predicted for a school with its demographic characteristics in its state), Underserved Student Performance (assessing learning outcomes among several student subgroups), and Graduation Rate (the proportion of students who graduate on time in 2019).
Some of the criteria listed for Coweta’s high schools include:
East Coweta High School
- No. 6,247 / 17,857 in National Rankings – top 35.0%
- No. 138 / 472 in Georgia High Schools – top 29.2%
- Students Taking at Least One AP® Exam – 31%
- Passed at Least One AP Exam – 19%
- Mathematics Proficiency – 45%
- Reading Proficiency – 58%
- Graduation Rate – 86%
Newnan High School
- No. 3,890 / 17,857 in National Rankings – top 21.8%
- No. 92 / 472 in Georgia High Schools – top 19.5%
- Students Taking at Least One AP Exam – 35%
- Passed at Least One AP Exam – 24%
- Mathematics Proficiency – 55%
- Reading Proficiency – 56%
- Graduation Rate – 87%
Northgate High School
- No. 2,394 / 17,857 in National Rankings – top 13.5%
- No. 57 / 472 in Georgia High Schools – top 12.0%
- Students Taking at Least One AP Exam – 48%
- Passed at Least One AP® Exam – 31%
- Mathematics Proficiency – 62%
- Reading Proficiency – 73%
- Graduation Rate – 89%
To read more about U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best High Schools rankings of Coweta high schools, go here.