WGTC qualifies 12 for National Business Competition
From Special Reports
West Georgia Technical College Phi Beta Lambda students excelled at the 2020 Virtual Georgia Phi Beta Lambda State Leadership Conference recently, demonstrating their knowledge, professionalism, and leadership potential.
Twelve of the 16 WGTC students who competed have qualified to advance to national competition to be held virtually in June. In total, students earned 22 awards and one individual recognition.
Students participated in competitive events focused on several business-related topics, including forensic accounting, project management, and business communication.
WGTC’s chapter was recognized as the largest PBL chapter in the state with 32 paid members, received first place for Georgia PBL Foundation Fundraising and third place overall for March of Dimes donations.
Further, an individual student and two advisors received special recognition. Sandra Mercer received the “Who’s Who in PBL” award, Joey Sanders was awarded Georgia PBL Advisor of the Year, and Carol Pearson was recognized for 15 Years as a PBL advisor.
2020 State Competition winners and their respective competitive events are as follows:
First Place Winners:
- Dora Menjivar – Client Service
- Dylan Bailey – Cost Accounting
- Dylan Bailey – Microeconomics
- Sayvon Jarrett – Economic A & D
- Lisa George – Financial Concepts
- Sandra Martin – Forensic Accounting
- Tiffany Stewart – Human Resources Management
- Rachael Parks – Management Concepts
- Rachael Parks – Retail Management
- Sandra Mercer – Programming Concepts
- Sandra Mercer – Web Design
- Tre ‘Vaughn Stallworth – Sports Management
Second Place Winners:
- Sandra Martin – Accounting Principles
- Caitlin Shelnutt – Future Business Executive
- Sayvon Jarrett – Impromptu Speaking
- Caitlin Shelnutt – Marketing A & D
- Tre ‘Vaughn Stallworth – Personal Finance
- Lisa George – Public Speaking
- Amy Alexander – Small Business Management Plan
Third Place Winners:
- Meagan Caldwell – Accounting Principles
- Meagan Caldwell – Justice Administration
Fourth Place Winners:
- Amy Alexander – Retail Management